Did you know that nestled within the Town of Davidson is an organization that offers courses to adults who are committed to lifelong learning? Davidson Learns’ mission is to enhance the intellectual, social, and cultural life of adults by providing challenging, diverse, and relevant courses, events, and experiences.
Day and evening courses are available, range from $44-$66, and run 4, 6, or 7 weeks. And you can jump in anytime. For example, 21st Century Grandparenting in the United States, a five-week course, starts Jan. 28, 10:30am-12:30pm. In this class, students will explore how the roles of grandparents have evolved over our lifetimes. According to its website, “We will investigate grandparenting through discussion, reading, role-playing, and sharing. Our resources will include American media and societal concepts of grandparents, books, our own ideas of what constitutes an effective grandparent, and our own thoughts on what legacy grandparents should leave behind for their grandchildren.”
Other courses include:
- International Affairs: Emerging Threats and Opportunities (Jan. 22-Feb. 26, 7-8pm)
- Nutrition, Metabolism, and The Human Microbiome (Jan 23-Feb.27, 2-3:30pm)
- Vices in Biblical and Jewish Literature (Jan. 29-Feb. 26, 11am-12:30pm)
- Intermediate Genealogy: Workshop (Jan. 30-Feb. 27, 10am-12:30pm)
- The Three “D’s” of Mental Health in Aging: Dementia, Depression, and Delirium (Jan. 31-Feb. 21, 2-3:30pm)
- Corporate Governance and Shareholder Activism (Jan. 31-Mar.7, 7-8:30pm)
- The Short Stories of Flannery O’Connor (Feb. 7-Mar. 14, 10-11:30am)
- “Everything Was the Same Until It Changed:” American Religion since 1960 (Feb. 13-Mar. 13, 10:30am-noon)
- A Workshop on Creation in Milton’s Paradise Lost, Bks 7 & 8 (Mar. 4-Apr. 1, 2-3:30pm)
- A Brief Introduction to Peace and Conflict Resolution (Mar. 19-Apr. 23, 2-3:30pm)
- Dwight Eisenhower and the 1950s in America (Mar. 14-Apr. 18, 2-3:30pm)
- Global Trade and International Relations (Mar. 19-Apr. 23, 6:30-8pm)
- Environmental History: Humanity’s Footprint and Today’s Policy (Mar. 20-April 17, 7-8:30pm)
- The Human Side of Landmark Civil Rights Lawsuits (Mar. 27-Apr. 24, 2-3:30pm)
- Understanding Persistent Racial Inequality (Feb. 12-Mar. 5, 2-3:30pm)
- World War I: The War to End All Wars (Apr. 1-May 6, 7-8pm)
- Presidents and First Ladies, 1930s–1990s (Apr. 2-May7, 9:30-11am)
Payment of a membership fee of $30 is required before registering for a class. Membership is good during the academic year: July 1st – June 30.
Photo is courtesy of Town of Davidson’s Facebook page.