By Sharyn Brunk
MOORESVILLE NC: On Wednesday, June 26, Costco will open a 41-acre retail center at Brawley School and Talbert roads off I-77, exit 35. Costco is a membership store. Go early in the day if you need to sign up—you can look around beforehand. You will find that the membership pays for itself—with rebate dollars.
Some of my favorite items
We are a family of two. So I don’t buy 20-lb. bags of rice and the 12-pack cheese Danishes (fresh baked—oh my, these are good!). There are plenty of products I do stock up on!
- Kirkland coffee (Costco brand, roasted by Starbucks)
- Frozen shrimp
- Meat (prime steaks, trimmed tenderloin, organic hamburger, chicken thighs)
- Cheeses (yes!)
- Fish (Watch the “pack date.” It’s best to decline if it’s more than two days old.)
- High-quality laser printer paper
- Jarred vegetables (Red beets are great!)
- Nuts (You know, to go with that wine.)
- Party supplies and party fresh food
- Shrimp salad and other freshly prepared foods
- 12-can pack of low-sodium chicken broth
- Canned drinks
- Kirkland extra-wide large aluminum foil
- Kirkland plastic wrap. (I mount it in a drawer and tear it off to one side. Move slider to cut. Never take it out of the drawer.)
- Dishwasher detergent and Rinse Aid
Store within a store
The tire center offers amazing prices. You can stop in without an appointment, but it’s always better to call ahead. The optical department offers a full range of glasses and contact lenses and accepts most vision insurance plans. A trained optician is always on-site to help measure and fit glasses. Also, I expect a hearing-aid center and photo center.
Gold Star, $60: This allows you and one other person the ability to shop.
Gold Star Executive, $120: All the purchasing benefits for you and one other person PLUS annual 2% reward on eligible Costco and Costco travel purchases. This is what I have—the annual rebate pays for the membership. You can get a Costco Visa credit card, which also gives you reward dollars.
Membership sign ups are happening daily from 10am-5pm at 107 Kilson Drive, Unit 1A, Mooresville.
Insider’s tip: Before you purchase, make sure that Groupon or another couponing service isn’t offering a deal. Often big-box stores will run specials on these sites.
Did I mention the samples?
Friday through Sunday is the best time to wander the aisles and sample many of the food products. Come hungry! Costco also has a small eatery.
This gets a little tricky. Store hours are Mon-Fri, 10am-8:30pm; Sat, 9:30am-6pm; and Sun, 10am-6pm. However, the departments within Costco may have different hours. The gas pumps open at 6am and close at 9pm. Costco is closed on major holidays.
Sharyn Brunk is a North Carolina Real Estate Broker with Helen Adams Realty. She can be reached at www.sharynbrunk.com or (919) 605-5246.